Sunday, February 28, 2010

One Year Anniversary

I have been in Turkey for one year.  A full year of living in a country where I am not part of the hegemonic culture.  Being an outsider in a different land has allowed me to observe Turkish culture closely and learn more about my own.  When your culture is not the mainstream culture, it is easy to see what your own culture is, since it contrasts with the culture around you.  It has been a great year, and a fun one, filled with food, travels and excitement.  Things have changed a little since I started working again, become more routine.  However, life is still fun and exciting.  We are finding our niche, making friends.  It always takes a while to make a new city “home.”  We are finding our favorite places, our favorite restaurants, bars and hangouts.  The process in itself is fun and exciting. I am sure the next year in Turkey will be just as great as the first.

DSC_0252_S_M

1 comment:

  1. As someone who is relatively stuck in the house all of the time, can I live vicariously through you?!?! Haha.

    I've always wanted to go to Turkey. Seems like such a beautiful country.

    Come visit me at It's Time To Get Over How Fragile You Are sometime!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete