Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pazar Again

pazar

For 30 liras at the pazar I got…

2 kilos of village spinach
1 kilo of Ankara Pears
1 kilo of Amasya Apples
1 bunch of mint
1 bunch of parsley
Fresh Garlic
Green onions
Bananas from Antalya
Local Eggs
2 kilos of garden Strawberries
Red leaf lettuce
2 bunches of arugula
1 package of balsam bread
half a kilo of manti
1 bunch of tere (greens related to arugula)
1 bunch of (unknown) greens that taste faintly of lemon*

Oh Boy!  So I bought all this stuff at the pazar then lugged it home and had to deal with it.  If I don’t take care of the produce purchases on Sunday, I may not use it, and then have to throw it away, which is wasteful and heartbreaking. 

To set myself up for the week I washed all the produce (you have to do this VERY well in TR to avoid Hep A.)  After I washed it and dried it I packed it carefully so it will stay fresh as long as possible.  Now all week we will have salads and veggie dishes that will be super quick to prepare because the produce is clean and ready.  It was a long hour in the kitchen, but when I get home late during the week it will be great to have food ready to go!

*If you have any ideas what these could be please let me know.  Also—What in the hell it yemlik, I CANNOT find an English translation.  It is an herb sold in the pazar which looks a little like grass.

5 comments:

  1. it's called aruncus,

    here it is
    http://www.caylakasci.com/2010/04/bilinmeyen-ot-yemlik.html

    here's the translated version

    and http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caylakasci.com%2F2010%2F04%2Fbilinmeyen-ot-yemlik.html&sl=tr&tl=en

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Gokay. I appreciate it. I dragged Bulent to the pazar the other day to help me find out what it was but he was as stumped as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is an unknown herb. It seems it is eaten raw with "dürüm", maybe with salt too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very jealous!!! I went shopping yesterday and I bought fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, bread, yogurt, a little juice for our three year old no meat, and we do not buy chips, soda, no pasta or rice, no cereal or anything extra and the total was $100. And that is just for a week.
    What is the price of meat there now? My husband family is saying it is very high now.

    ReplyDelete