Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Love the Pazar!

Pazars are great. They are the open air markets that sell fruits, veggies and household stuff like slippers, pots and pans, etc.  There is a large one I got to on Sundays, however I saw a smaller one today in a different neighborhood.  Pazars are not normally mid-week so I decided to stop by. 

This pazar is smaller and has fewer choices, but because there is less traffic since it is on a Wednesday instead of the weekend the prices are a bit lower. pazar

3 loaves (or pieces) of bazlama bread, a huge bunch of mint, a giant head of lettuce, a large head of mesculin, a bunch of parsley and a kilo of Ankara pears.   All of this cost 8  lira, or $5.   A super bargain.  I wall be going back to that market for fresh greens, especially since it is so nice and quiet.

A note: I just discovered fresh bazlama bread at the pazars.  It is now my favorite food.  It is so soft and fresh, kind of like a chewy English muffin.  I will endeavor to start making it myself soon.  Though, for one lira for 3 pieces it may be cheaper just to buy it.

1 comment:

  1. It is the highlight of my week to wander through the farmer's market with my old man hand cart. You can save so much money too. Sundays can be a nightmare because so many people just don't know how to walk in Turkey, it seems. So Wednesdays is a great idea.
    I can spend about 20 TL and have fresh fruit and vegetables all week. In fact, I really have to concentrate of making meals with less meat and more vegetables in order to use them all before they go bad. THAT can't be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete